Thursday, April 28, 2011

Photos Without Words Don't Tell The Whole Story

I've learned that photos without words can be very deceiving.  After all, yesterday's post made my Tuesday look pretty darn sweet, right?

It started off that way. Breakfast. Strength training session. Shower. But that single shot of the computer?  Hours and hours of work on contract revisions. Tedious, but productive. Then at 2:00 in the afternoon, my day fell apart. I had to pick up R & B for a dentist appointment. I forgot my camera.

Do you know what else my photos failed to document?

The photos failed to document...

...the fact that one of my offspring was in a particularly bad mood.  Cue ominous heavy black clouds.

...the first dinner in over four months where the whole family was present.  The dinner that began with said offspring's comment: "Well, at least this looks edible." Peppered heavily with teenage snarkiness and referring back to a dinner a few nights earlier that said offspring did NOT consider edible.  Are you beginning to get the flavor of dinner? Dinner should have tasted like yummy grilled filet mignon and baked potatoes, but instead tasted remarkably like drippy sarcasm and foul temper. I told said offspring that her attitude was getting on my nerves. She took her dinner plate and stormed out of the room, trailing a few choice words as she went. Cue thunder and lightning bolts.

...DH high-tailing it out of the house, dishes not even finished, to head to the gym. Cue sudden gust of wind and slamming door sound.

...me lacing up my sneakers and heading out the front door. Can I cue screeching tires here? What sound do screeching sneakers make? A casual observer might have thought I was late for an appointment. The truth was I couldn't get out of there fast enough. I had to escape the darkness that had enveloped my home. I had to run away from the negativity storm clouds brewing right over my head and in my heart. Cue a gentle lonely rainfall.

My photo walk did document this.  Which for some strange reason made me think of my snarky offspring.

And this. How I felt when I stepped out the door. Like the lowly dandelion - just a weed. Some people  don't feel guilty for even a second for stepping all over it.  But the beauty is there if you take just a moment to really look.

My walk was restorative. It cleared my head. And lightened my heart. And soothed my soul. So much so that I was able to enjoy the blooms. I was gone over an hour. Today my back is killing me. But I'm proud of myself for remembering to choose happiness.

And for recognizing that you simply can't reason with raging hormones.

14 comments:

Amy said...

Cheri, I am also proud of you for making the choice to be happy - it is not always easy.

Your shots are really beautiful and those young women will find out soon enough how hard it is to juggle work, family and ALL the cooking - I admire your strength despite a difficult day :-)

Sian said...

I think one of the great things about blogging is that it offers up a new day and a new chance to look at things afresh every time we post.

nikki said...

wow, what a day! hope thats not what i have to look forward to with my twin girls, can see why you said twin teens are exhausting now! glad you felt better after your walk though xoxo

Melissa said...

Cheri, I totally agree that photos don't tell the whole story. Reality is that the mood of a day can change with just one comment (from a teen or a stranger). So glad your day ended on a positive note and a healthy walk!

Fun Mama - Deanna said...

Yes, it really is interesting what the photos miss without the words, isn't it? I hope today is better than the other day was.

Julie Ann Rachelle Interior Design said...

Yay for a restorative walk and some really beautiful photos. Hope your back feels better. Maybe a hot bath? Have you heard of Morning Walks via The Artist's Way? xoxo

Heather said...

That shot of the dandelion is awesome! The detail is amazing. I'm glad you had the foresight to just leave the house & do what makes YOU happy. xxx

Candace said...

Some blogs are just too sugary sweet all the time. I like to know someone out there has off days just like the rest of us.

quiltingfool said...

There will always be those days as long as the world is filled with people. You handled it so well, and you're wise to know "this too shall pass". Sometimes you wonder why in the world you ever chose to be a mother, but at the end of the day, you always know why. And besides, it's the only way you can get grandchildren!

Jo.C said...

I appreciate this post because mine was similar with the work shots - I took the first one - stuff got dumped from a great height - the kids were not in the mood and before I knew it I was taking the clock shot cursing because I had not got some of the shots I wanted.
Glad you felt better later :0)

Rebekah said...

I'm glad you had your own outlet to get "out of the house". Hugs!

Ade said...

You are so right! So many people commented that it looks like I had a great day with my kids. Reality is, the photos were taken before and after work/school. I almost feel like I have to explain, just like you!

Krystal K Grant Photography, LLC said...

I continue to admire your restraint and firm view of the "big picture" when it comes to snarky teens. Your photos are stunning, Cheri, you continually amaze me with your growing skills as well as your ability to tell stories with these photos. xoxoxox

Cheryl McCain said...

Hi Cheri - It's so hard at times raising those snarky teens, but I think for the most part, they all go through a time like this. Glad you had an escape and you've portrayed it so beautifully in photo and words!