Monday, January 24, 2011

Sick Days, the Boring Common Cold, and Be Careful What You Wish For

Being sick sucks.  I have been sick (this time around) since January 13th. It started with a lump at the back of my throat. By the 16th it was a raging sore throat, soothed somewhat with Halls cough drops.  And a LOT of hot water (since I don't drink tea or coffee, just hot water).  I survived the weekend crop at Reading with the sore throat and a bit of nasal congestion.  I woke myself up snoring. yeah, fun times.

I came home from the crop and continued my "normal" routine Monday and Tuesday - catching up with laundry, grocery shopping, and work. 

I think maybe it was Wednesday the 19th that did me in.  It was one of those you have no choice, you have to fake it kind of days - our annual Board of Directors Orientation and quarterly Board Meeting at work.  I had a presentation for the new Board members in the morning and a different presentation to the entire Board of Directors in the afternoon.  I made it through the morning okay. In the afternoon presentation, I nearly choked during my speech until a co-worker brought me water.  Sitting through a full day of meetings just isn't all that.  

I was wrecked when I got home and really just wanted a good night's sleep.  My coworkers had convinced me that my normal Nyquil-induced-coma wasn't working for me because I was under dosing. According to them, the recommended dose is for toddlers.  So I brushed my teeth and double-dosed.  And promptly got a signature Cheri nose bleed.  I am prone to them when traveling or taking any kind of antihistamine - airplanes, dry hotel rooms, etc. usually bring them on.  And when I get one, it usually takes about a half hour and lots of nasal spray to bring under control. Which is of course, counter-intuitive since the nasal spray is an antihistamine.  This nose bleed was no exception.  Ugh. Yes, I'm pretty convinced that "fake it day" was my undoing.

Thursday morning I woke up feeling like total crap and thought "I really need a day to just be sick and be done with it."  Thursday marked a full week without a solid night's sleep.  I was tired and cranky and still feeling the sore throat and congestion.  I drove the girls to school, made a quick stop at the grocery store, came home and started a load of laundry and the dishwasher.  Then went back to bed.  At 8 a.m.  And slept until 10.  Perfect, I definitely needed the extra zzz's.  Got up and showered then started dinner in the crock pot, emptied the dishwasher, started another load of laundry, and did some work.  I was feeling pretty darn productive for a sick girl.  Broke around noon for lunch.  Ate my simple rice & veggies lunch.   

Thursday definitely falls into the "be careful what you wish for" category. I should have been more explicit when putting my request out to the Universe!  Because Thursday afternoon was when the Universe decided to grant my sick day wish. In spades.  Involving excruiating abdominal pain. Involving simultaneous use of trash can and toilet.  Repeatedly.  For several hours.  And chills. And cold sweats.  And hot flashes.  On the upside, I lost three pounds.  And spent two days camped out in my London-dwelling daughter's bedroom.

I called in sick Friday and asked them to dock me for Thursday as well.  I spent the weekend eating bland foods, in extremely small quantities, sleeping a lot, and trying to deal with the raging sore throat that continued unabated. Even though I basically "checked out" for the weekend, my sore throat and the constant feeling that I was choking would not go away.

So Monday morning, thoroughly tired and bored of being sick, I called the doctor.  Made an appointment.  Went in.  Having just put up with ten days of misery, I really wanted the doctor to tell me something that would at least validate it all.  You know, a sexy diagnosis like strep throat or bronchitis or walking pneumonia (all of which I have had in the past). Something that would at least engender a bit of the sympathy vote, right?

But no.... not for me..... My tonsils look fine.  My chest sounds perfectly clear.  Obviously I HAD (past tense) a virus that caused Thursday's misery and was advised to continue eating bland foods until my poor innards return to normal. 

But as for the rest of it?  That raging sore throat and choking feeling?  The doctor acknowledged that the back of my throat was red and cobbled and appeared irritated.  Irritated?  Are you kidding me???  Talking, sneezing, blowing my nose, swallowing - all cause excruciating drag-razors-over-raw-flesh kind of pain in my throat.  Irritated has got to be the understatement of the century.  The official diagnosis?  A very unsexy "post nasal drip".  What a let down.  Treatment - over the counter meds and saline spray.  Woo Hoo.  And this is exactly why I wait ten days to see the doctor. Because she could do nothing for me and I'm right back where I started - trying to allow my body to heal itself.  And getting further behind in everything while I wait to feel well enough to concentrate on anything.

In the time that I have been sick, we have had snow, ice, and more snow. In the middle of mid-term exams my girls have had two snow days. I have gotten behind on Picture Winter.  I've read blogs but haven't had the energy or concentration levels to comment much.  I haven't been to the gym.  I haven't read.  I haven't paid the bills.  Life is happening outside but I'm inside, just existing.  And I'm bored.  So, ummm, Universe... if you don't mind... I don't need any more sick days okay?  I need some healthy, feel great, productive days.  Some pain free, no drip kinda days.  Some HAPPY days.  Okay Universe??? 


Anonymous said...

Sending good thoughts your way!! Hugs, too!!

Cheryl said...

sounds like you have been through the wars so sending you some soothing hugs x

Deb @ PaperTurtle said...

Oh, Cheri, you poor thing! That sounds just awful. I have to admit that there have been times when I wished I could just take a sick day just to be lazy and catch up on some rest, but your kind of sick day is NOT something I'd ever wish for. Take care of yourself and get better soon!!! xo

Kelly Miller said...

I'm sorry you're sick Cheri! I got hit on Dec. 31 and I'm still down. I'm like you, though. Why bother with a co-pay and a germy waiting room just to be told to do what I'm doing? No thanks!

I hope you're better quickly!

Amy said...

Well, this is just absolutely dreadful you poor, poor girl :-) I hope that you are one the mend very soon - take care :-)

Anonymous said...

Oh, Cheri, how awful! Sending good vibes for better health and warmer weather---though I think the latter is unlikely. Hopefully the former is already on its way!

quiltingfool said...

Sorry to hear your sad tale. If your genes age properly and you have inherited any maternal genes at all, you can look forward to far fewer of these colds and flu and such in your old age though. Get well soon, and pretend I'm patting you on the back, while fixing your favorite (but soft) snack, and doing all your chores for you. Feel better?

scrappyjacky said...

So,so sorry to hear this, Cheri....sending you hugs and well wishes.

debs14 said...

Oh Cheri, you have really had it bad. I'm so sorry to hear how poorly you have been. And how annoying that finally going to the doctors didn't end up with a prescription for something that will make you better - immediately.
You must surely have been through the worst of it now and hope that every day sees you feeling a bit better.

Unknown said...

Awwwww... just catching up and seeing that you are in need of some large amounts of TLC. It's good you took the weekend and it's good that you went to the doc even for an unsexy (?) diagnosis. Better safe than sorry, and I truly hope that today is a better, more happy, more feeling better, less drippy, less scratchy kind of day for you!

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.