Wednesday, April 30, 2014

One Little Word - April

I'm continuing on my journey with Kindness this year and all of my regular blog readers are familiar with my Year of Kindness Project  which so far feels like it is going quite well.

For April, Ali's assignment was to capture our word in photos and to perhaps add a full page photo of ourselves with journaling directly on the photo (specifically about something we wanted to "let go" of in our lives but I didn't do that bit of it). Since I am working in a smash book instead of with the recommended size materials, I always have to adapt a bit. Here is what I came up with:
 This is my two page spread. The collage shows some of the small ways kindness has been active in my life so far this year. Self-kindness is the form of a visit with my sister and fresh flowers to photograph, unexpected kindness when Rachel and Becca shoveled the sidewalk, kindness from the Universe when I spotted an entire flock of robins in January while doing laundry, kindness from Sarah who purchased the cute little giraffe that I fell in love with at Eastern Market - the artist creates these from old soda cans - this was from an Arizona Tea can.  And finally - that canvas - was gifted to the daughter of a good friend. This young girl is currently undergoing in-patient therapy for amplified pain that has left her in a wheelchair since January. She loves to dance and can't wait to be back on her feet. I hadn't planned the canvas for her, but realized once it was done it was perfect for her. So off it went to her hospital room!
Here's a close up of the treatment added to the right-hand page. I haven't done a good selfie in a while so I used a small print of my blog photo which just seemed to be perfect for this page. And journaled about my experiences with kindness around the elements of the page.

9 comments:

Maria Ontiveros said...

I love this Cheri. The photo selections are great, and the composition on the right hand side is fantastic!
Great job with your word this year. I need to find some time to reflect on my own, but I do feel like I am definitely finding my way back to it this week.
Rinda

Alison said...

You really ARE focussing on your word this year...have enjoyed catching up with the last few posts!
Alison xx

scrappyjacky said...

I think you've been doing some wonderful things with your OLW this year,Cheri....and I love the pages you've created here.

Sian said...

I can just imagine that canvas brightening up a space beside a hospital bed. I'll bet it's much appreciated

Barbara Eads said...

I think your Smash Book approach is perfect for this project. I love your page.

Missus Wookie said...

I've not managed to finish everything from April's prompts yet, I like the way you've combined the small photos and framed your selfie.

Karen said...

This is wonderful! I like everything about it, and it's such a good summary of your devotion to your OLW this year!

alexa said...

Your pages are so rich in photos, art and journalling! It's lovely to read how your word is working out for you this year ...

Melissa said...

This spread turned out great! I like how you're adapting the prompts for the Smash book!