Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Clean & Simple - 9 & 10

I have to say, I'm pretty darned proud of myself at this moment for keeping up with this class and doing ALL of the assignments!!!

Here's week 9:
The assignment called for an 8.5x11 layout with a 4 photo grid of places we love, but after choosing these three, I honestly couldn't come up with a fourth that felt worthy of this group. So I edited the photo grid to change it to 12x12 layout and to allow for a 3 photo grid.  And that Jessica Sprague kraft background paper is still one of my favorite papers of all time!

Week 10 also called for 8.5x11 but since we were learning to create our own template ENTIRELY FROM SCRATCH... well, I just started off with the 12x12 background and went from there.
We learned to create our own photo clipping masks and how to use guides to keep everything lined up. I think I will now feel comfortable creating my own templates. One more thing I want to figure out though is how to put thin white lines between the photos. I know that placing photos all next to each other like this is the latest rage, but I don't love it.  We still have two more weeks to go, so I hope that lesson is coming up!

12 comments:

Amy said...

Cheri, if you find out how to turn on the 'grid'(not sure on PSE) your whole template/document with be covered with a grid in the dimensions you decide. As an example, I have mine set to have a marker at each inch point and then each 1 inch square is divided into 1/8th segments.

Then all you do is drag your masks around and line them up (you can see easily because of the grid)with the margin spacing you prefer. For photobook printing I like to leave at least 1 inch around the outer border and I like my margins to be either 1/8 or 2/8 of an inch.

They key is using the grids and guides and having them set up to your preferred measurements. Also there is another setting called 'snap to' and it will line things up to each slice within the grid - very handy.

Amy said...

PS Great pages, love the type!

helena said...

If you want just a very thin white line between the photos - add a white stroke to the clipping shape using layer styles

Maria Ontiveros said...

I love that first layout - the little tab at the top really makes it for me.
Rinda

scrappyjacky said...

I love both of these,Cheri....though I do tend to agree that a fine border between the photos would look even better.

Sian said...

Being able to make a template would be a wonderful skill to have, I think. Your work rate, and its results? they rock!

Karen said...

I know I could not have kept up with this class, but the more I see your work and read about it, the more I wished I'd taken it. I love both of these, but I agree that a thin white line between the photos would be nice. I've loved everything you've done for this class.

Barbara Eads said...

I am so impressed by what you are learning. You are such a good student!! I really like your layouts and subject matter.

Deb @ PaperTurtle said...

These are great pages, Cheri, and good for you on keeping up! I was happy to read Amy's comment as I have been wondering the same thing. Now I just need to find how to change those settings...

alexa said...

Your own page is full of interest visually - well done on keeping up with the class. I don't think I ever have! You can also use the alignment tools in the top bar to get even spacing as narrow as you like - ,,'distribute horizontal / vertical centre' is what you are looking for ...

Cheryl said...

Great template, Cheri! (Love those colors on your LO!) I'm with you - I like a little space between my photos, but I think your collage works great as-is. Way to go on keeping up - and doing a great job with all the assignments!

Missus Wookie said...

I'm impressed with your rate of creativity and keeping up - both pages are lovely. That kraft paper is so pretty/grungy too.

Also thankful I got to read all those comments from helpful digi scrappers as I too like a white border and will try those. Am at least working on a couple of CZs class projects....