Sunday, February 9, 2020

Catching Up

I seriously can't believe it has been a full month since I posted!  But there you have it.  My goal of weekly posting out the window before the year really even got rolling.  🙄

January was a bit rough around the edges.  I had a head cold.  Then our furbaby Ashley passed (she was just shy of 19). That was truly sad. In the process of burying her, I pulled a muscle in my back/hip and couldn't stand up straight for four days. The house is too quiet now (she was a very vocal kitty).


The truth is, I'm struggling right now.  Struggling to keep up with ALL.THE.THINGS.... struggling to stay positive... struggling to get clarity around my next steps.

I set myself up to have a super productive creative year with a slew of online classes. Most of which have already fallen by the wayside.

 I did manage to get Jay's birthday page done.

And my Christmas Cards 2019 layout.  Seems the art of sending cards in the mail has definitely fallen off.  We used to get so many photo cards that I would have to cut them down and I'd still have 4 pages for a single year.  Now I'm lucky to get 2 or 3 photo cards.  For those of you still sending me handmade cards, know that they are much appreciated and most of them are included in the layout and become part of our Christmas card exchange documented memories!

 

Mostly, I've been doing the job search thing. Drafting (and redrafting, and tweaking and re-tweaking) my resume, updating my LinkedIn profile, talking with my career coach, attending online seminars, attending networking events...

The last time I actively searched for a job was 1996!  I was extremely blessed to be recruited to join TREND in 2004, at a time when I knew I needed to leave my law firm practice.  I was extremely blessed to work at TREND for 13 years with wonderful people who became my second family.  I was blessed to survive the merger and another three years of employment before having my position eliminated.  I have no illusions about just how lucky I was to be gainfully employed for 16 years straight without having to think about resumes or profiles or personal branding.

Turns out, ALL of the rules for job searching have changed!  Everything I thought I knew is worthless. I'm a beginner in the job market at the ripe old age of...  well, it doesn't matter.  I just have to get on board with being back to square one and figure this all out. 

If you are still reading, thanks for being here for me!  I've re-committed to blogging more often and will be back soon!!!

4 comments:

Karen said...

You've got a lot on your plate, and we'll all be here when you have time to post. My posting has been erratic for awhile, and I have no excuse what-so-ever! Know I am thinking of you and hoping for positive results in the job search. Gorgeous photo of Jay with your beautiful daughters!

debs14 said...

Sorry to hear that you have so much on your plate at the moment. I remember when my 'kids' were looking for jobs recently, even the application processes have changed so much so I can't begin to imagine how different a CV may look nowadays. But it sounds as if you are actively reaching out to people who can help and I hope that you find something soon.

Patio Postcards said...

I'm so sorry for your loss of your fur girl. They wrap around our hearts. Great photo of Jay & the girls.

I think Cheri you need to be very kind with yourself - remember this is an exhale of life, & before the next inhale you need to be sure that the exhale is complete. That's what I was told when I had such a career change a couple of years back. Change is hard & IMO it mostly sucks when you are not the one choosing the change.

Deep breathe, exhale slowly, you'll get there :)

Melissa said...

Catching up today Cheri. I agree the whole job search has changed..so much is done online & the professionalism of years ago is gone. Praying that you'll find the right job!

Hang in there!! I've felt a little bummed lately, too, like I wasn't keeping up with things so far this year. But, I just put up my first post and realized it's been a pretty good start to the year if I focus on the positives.