Friday, July 15, 2011

About Smash Books

E.K. Success Smash Books and Fancy Pants Brag Books seem to be all the rage this Summer!  But the idea is certainly nothing new... I think the big companies are just cashing in on something scrapbookers were already doing on their own.  In fact, Tangie Baxter posted a series of videos on You Tube on how to create a Junque Journal back in January of 2010.  I picked up on the idea from Kai and created my own back in March of 2010 and blogged about it here.

My own Junque Journal:
has become the repository for the ephemera of every day life that I wouldn't normally create a scrapbook page about.

Such as Happy Mail, ticket stubs, stamps...

More Happy Mail, thank you notes, quotes that move me, etc.

As you can see, my pages are often very simple and bereft of embellishments.  I don't put things in order ... I just open up to a random page and add stuff. And I don't worry about mixing stuff on a page either! Which makes it even more eclectic and fun.  And this little gem is great to flip through when I need a quick pick me up. When you start adding happy mail and such... it gets quite fat quickly!

4 comments:

Melissa said...

Oh, I love the idea to put the happy mail envelopes in there - I just might have to start doing that. I have some envelopes that I've been holding on to, just waiting for the right idea! :>)

Cheryl said...

Thanks for this post, Cheri. I was drawn to the Smash Book, but I couldn't completely figure out how to use it. After reading about your Junque Journal, I'm thinking of the pile of "stuff" I have that I don't want to get rid of but know I'll never scrapbook. Guess this would be a good place for it!

Goesturbo said...

Beautiful! My son & niece are doing the Kidding Around 2 class at Big Picture classes. I love how creative they have been with them!

Anonymous said...

I've been enjoying the Smash Book I made a month or so ago. I'm using more for inspirational ideas than collecting, but see it as an all-purpose journal. Loved seeing what you've done with yours.