Sunday, December 5, 2010

Christmas Club

Joining in on Sian's Christmas Club!  I'm taking you back in time... December 1972... some of you are probably way too young to even appreciate this...

Yeah baby - vintage!  Can you dig it?

I was eleven years old at the time.  In the first photo, you just gotta love the orange and navy plaid pants, gold turtleneck, and rust color suede vest! And the ratty old lounge chair with holes worn in the armrests.

I had my ears pierced at 10, so one gift was a pair of earrings. 

In the second photo, I was helping my 18 month old brother Donny open his gifts. That thing on the floor that looks like a mop? Our English Sheepdog - Lollipop.

Love the third photo. Me, Deanna, and Jerry, eagerly waiting for my Mom to pass out gifts.  And her outfit is so "Partridge Family" (Shirley Jones) - it cracks me up! And what self-respecting living room in the 70's didn't have at least one wall with dark panelling?

And how many of you are still hanging on to one of those lovely box televisions???

What amazes me about these photos is how I can see what appears to be such a happy family enjoying a traditional Christmas at a time when what I remember most in my mind is how much turmoil and crisis this family was in.  For now, I'm letting go of those less-than-wonderful memories on focusing on the idea that even then, among some of the darkest of days, we had happy times.  Merry Christmas!

11 comments:

debs14 said...

I read those words 'Partridge Family' and all I can think about is David Cassidy! I was 14 in 1972 so I can so associate with all you have written and all those fashions - it really was the decade for colourful clothes wasn't it?!
It's nice to see that your photos bring back the happy moments of that time!

Sian said...

I can definitely dig it! This is brilliant - I was 6 at the time and I can remember the days of dressing in those colours, decorating in those colours..I must see if I can find a photo of me the same Christmas. I love that you can see the happy family despite the other memories. That's important. Thanks for this today Cheri :)

scrappyjacky said...

These photos could have been taken in my childhood home,Cheri....I just wish my mum and dad had been into taking photos.

Amy said...

Awesome ... I was coming up for 8 weeks of age - 1972 was a great year!
I love these photos Cheri and you have the best hair ... actually, my girl could pass for a relative of yours :-)

Miriam said...

So good that you can concentrate on the happy memories. Lovely post:)

Melissa said...

Oh my, are you sure you didn't borrow that dark paneling, ratty chair, and that box TV from my house in the early 70s. LOL I have some very similar photos although I was only three that year! Loved the trip down memory lane and the fact that you are choosing to see the good memories.

Cheryl said...

I was 3 but I remember the panneling and that tv sounds like we all had the same things. Thanks for sharing x

Becky said...

These photos are great! I was six at the time and remember those fashions clearly. It is nice that you can think of happy memories when you look at these photos.

Alana said...

I was only just 5 (Nov birthday) in 1972 but your photo's remind me of a photo of me in a Red Harlequin pattern trouser suit.....I have red hair so you can imagine what I looked like. Great photo's and even though it was a difficult time for you, memories are memories good or bad...and you found the good.

Cheryl said...

Oh, how I love these pictures! I'm pretty sure we had that exact carpet when I was little. :)

Unknown said...

Isn't it amazing how photos from the 70's have the same theme? Partridge family/Brady Bunch... it's all so obvious when you pick up any photo from the 70's that it was the 70's. I love it! :)