Monday, February 7, 2011

First Friday Fitness

I acknowledge that this post is a tad bit late... but I have plenty of reasons justification  excuses.  Want to hear them?  No, I didn't think so.  I'm just glad I'm finally posting it...
Although I "lost" three pounds in just a single day in January, I posted an actual two pound loss for the month.  Once my appetite and digestive system returned to normal, some of the weight did go back on. I expected that.  It means I'm still losing at the disgustingly slow rate of a half pound a week.  But slow and steady is easier to keep off, right? 

These numbers record from where I was in late September 2010, at which point I had already lost the first five pounds, so if I wanted to be truly accurate, I have lost 17 pounds since I began.  Even my doctor noticed today that I was down 15 pounds from my August visit! My new short-term goal is to see the down side of 170 by the end of February.  I know that is reaching, but I'm going to try! 

My measurements were down 1/2" in the waist and hips and a full 1" in the abs which is the number that really matters to me right now.  That is where the unhealthy fat sits, so I'm really happy about that number! 

What is frustrating at this point is that my February photo looks no different from my January photo, or from my photo last April when I was a full 12 pounds heavier.  No, I'm not making it up - and this is painfully honest for me to post - but see for yourself:
Okay, my hair looks different.  It is brushed and I'm wearing makeup instead of being straight out of the shower!  My husband tells me if it is any consolation, he has noticed that my belly has really gone down.  In his very nice and helpful way, he tells me that last August I looked pregnant.  Thanks dear.

On the exercise front - once I got beyond the nasty virus I really wanted to go back to the gym. But every time I had the opportunity, we had snow. or ice. or freezing rain. And I didn't want to venture to the gym on bad roads.  So I got back on the dreadmill at home.  

I started where I had left off in PT - at 8 minutes walking at 3.0 mph.  I added on one minute for each time I got on the dreadmill.  Which meant as of Saturday I was up to 15 minutes!  Today I finally hit the gym.  I went 15 minutes, but was able to go at 3.2 mph on their treadmill.  It does feel slower there - and smoother.

I'm still doing yoga and/or PT stretching exercises almost every morning.  I'm still tracking calories and exercise at My Fitness Pal.  A fitter, healthier me is emerging.... slowly but surely.

15 comments:

Amy said...

Oh yes you do look different! Well done Cheri - you are making progress and everything is heading in the right direction ... congratulations! :-)

Melissa said...

Hang in there Cheri - you are doing great. We are both just ripe for getting over this little beginning of the year plateau! :>)

Anonymous said...

Slow IS better, and I DO see a difference even if you do not! I think you are doing really well. All those inches lost are something to celebrate.

Kelly Miller said...

I see a difference. It's like you shrunk up a little. Isn't it crazy how we view ourselves with such a critical eye?

scrappyjacky said...

I definately think slow is better....and shows you are changing your eating habits properly, rather than 'crash' dieting.
I can see a difference, even if you can't.

Sian said...

I DO see a difference! Honestly! And I think you are standing taller too so keep it up. Slow and steady is definitely the right way to go. It's working Cheri, I know it's working :)

Anonymous said...

You look great!

Anonymous said...

Yup, a big difference!!! Congratulations. Keep on keeping on! You can do it!

Deb @ PaperTurtle said...

This is awesome, Cheri. Good for you!!! And I love that you are documenting your progress on your blog! Keep up the good work. xo

Unknown said...

I totally see a difference in your stomach and in your booty. :) You ROCK, Cheri!

quiltingfool said...

There is totally a difference in your belly area. Also a big difference in the expression on your face. Clearly you are happier with yourself now than you were earlier. Keep up the good work.

debs14 said...

There really is a difference Cheri, we're always more critical of ourselves, but trust us - there is change!
Slow and sure is the way to go, crash diets never work, the weight always goes back on. Keep up the good work!

alexa said...

Oh wow, you are inspiring me to get to the gym and find my yoga leotard and leggings! Well done so far - you know we are all cheering you on here, and I am admiring your courage and persistence! Looking forward to seeing you smile :).

humel said...

Yay you!! And I can definitely see a difference too :-) You go, girl! We're all rooting for you xx

Honoré said...

Yep! Quite a diff: your face, abs, butt,arms. You go girl!