Monday, February 28, 2011

4x6 Photo Love

or "What I Did At The Crop"

I attended a day crop this past Saturday.  I find that at home it is difficult for me to concentrate on any type of paper scrapping.  I am easily distracted by the laundry, cleaning, family needs and just day-to-day stuff.  So I packed up my supplies and went off for a day of creating.  It's not quite as exciting as a day spent with Lord Tim, but then I am easily thrilled!

The main concentration of my day was Shimelle's "4x6 Photo Love" class over at Two Peas in a Bucket.  It is totally FREE, so if you aren't already playing along, I highly recommend it! Shimelle posts one class each month, at the end of the month.  January's post was to use a single 4x6 photo in a layout.  The new class posted today will use two 4x6 photos, and so on each month. 

I loved Shimelle's ideas for a single photo, and also loved the explanation of her placement of details.  And while a lot of embellishment is decidedly NOT my style, I chose to give it a try.

This style works great for when you want to capture an event with a single photo - something that doesn't figure big enough to warrant multiple pages, even if you took tons of photos. 

My take with a horizontal photo and lots of totally random and unrelated embellishments.  I'm not thrilled with the finished layout, but the memory is captured and that is what matters most! :)

And here is the vertical photo version.  This one took me about two hours to assemble as I played with the placement of various elements.  But I'm actually quite pleased with the final layout!

Sarah doesn't like this photo of herself - I guess she doesn't see what I see here - my little girl all grown up.

This layout won me third place in the layout contest for the day. I got a nice pack of 12x12 papers by Colorbok.
And some of the details up close.


paper flowers and adhesive pearls are much more "me" when it comes to embellishments! :)


I also finished up an album that was 95% complete from a BPC class back in 2007, that just needed a few finishing touches.  One more thing I can cross off that UFO list!

And I began working on my "Permission to Live a Creative Life" album (based on the self-paced class by Courtney Walsh over at Big Picture Classes). But that isn't far enough along for photos yet, so will appear in a later post.

In the meantime, I could use some help with it.  What are your favorite quotes about creativity and living creatively?  I'm collecting them, so please chime in! :)

9 comments:

Unknown said...

I like both of your 4x6 photo layouts, Cheri, but that one of your daughter is absolutely prize worthy! :)

scrappyjacky said...

I like them both as well, Cheri....but that second one just 'zings'....not at all surprised it got a prize.
One of my favourite creativity quotes is 'Creativity is contagious. Pass it on' [Albert Einstein].
If you want to have a look at a whole lot of them try here

debs14 said...

Both are lovely layouts Cheri but the bottom one is stunning, I can see why it won you the prize!

quiltingfool said...

I also like them both. There's a lot to be said for simplicity. Have you done a layout with Sarah's red telephone photo? I love that photo of her. There was a quote on Big Picture today that I really like "Always do what you are most afraid to do".

That could fit creativity or anything else. For me, it was about learning Photoshop.
Beautiful job on both layouts!

Melissa said...

Cheri, both of these layouts came out great. I really enjoyed Shimelle's explanation of the placement of elements too and love my layout that I completed with one photo. I added this quote to my mini-album about creativity even though it's not specifically about creativity. "Focus on the journey, not the destination. Joy is found not in finishing an activity but in doing it." by Greg Anderson Also, one that I wrote down in my quotes journal years ago "Creative Attitudes Create Wonders."

Amy said...

I think that you have done very well with both layouts - I always admire people who are able to place embellishments so beautifully and you have really make them pop on the second one!

Anonymous said...

These are both lovely. I love the colors on the first one against the white background. I'm doing this class, too, and posted my layout on the Scrap-Mart blog. Now that's it's gone up over there, I'll put it up on mine tomorrow.

Kelly Miller said...

My favorite quote: "The world is but a canvas to the imagination." ~Thoreau

Anonymous said...

Love those flowers! Very pretty layout!