Wednesday, May 20, 2015

Where I Work

So remember when I told you that I'm trying to declutter again this year? And that I had tackled the office in January?  Well, Cate's prompt for today gives me the perfect excuse to show you what I did besides getting rid of 61 pounds of paper!!!

 This is a "before" view of the office looking from my living (a/k/a craft) room into the office toward the window.  Note, two chairs because Jay had a spot and the filing cabinet in the corner.

Here is my "after" view, still facing the window. Jay's chair made it out to bulk trash and was picked up by someone. In fact, I kicked Jay out completely.  I work here all day, four to five days a week.  He has an office space in the basement with three tables and as many computers and he only works from home one day a week. So I saw no need to keep reserving him space here.  The filing cabinet was moved to the wall closest to the living room and the tables were rearranged so my desk is now by the window. I got rid of the ugly brown bookcase and repurposed one that had been used in the family room and was no longer needed there. The big lump under the table is a two drawer filing cabinet - one for household bills and such, one for work.

The "before" shot facing from the sunroom doorway towards the living (craft) room. ugly brown bookshelf featured prominently on the desk space.

The "after" shot.  When I told you I got rid of a lot of stuff, I wasn't kidding!

"Before" wall opposite my desk - cabinets and printers

"After" - not much has changed here really.  Art work has been hung and the packing materials cleaned up.

So this is where I work. It is still very much a work in progress. I want a real desk with drawers and everything, not cheap laminate folding tables and a metal file cabinet. And I need to either move my bulletin board or add some more art work above my monitor.  The "personal" things that really make this space mine... how about the old irons being used as book ends? The candles on top of the sorter? I really like my work space!

14 comments:

Karen said...

So impressive! I NEVER remember to take before photos! I gave away more paper than I kept today. My friend was happy to get it, and I'm relieved to be rid of it. Still a long ways to go, even though I did a good purge a year ago.

Melissa said...

Oh my goodness, you did make some changes! It looks fabulous . . . maybe I'll get to see it in October! :) I think a smattering of your lovely art canvases above the monitor would be FUN!

Barbara Eads said...

I wish I had taken before photos of my room that just got an overhaul. It's so nice to have things de-cluttered. Your space looks really nice.

debs14 said...

You really have been busy! Good idea to take before pictures so you can really see how far you've come.

scrappyjacky said...

It's looking really good now....a much calmer space.

Barbara said...

You have been really busy, a good idea to make the space yours, I hope you can find the right desk.

Sian said...

It's really interesting to see where you work. And I can FEEL the freshness in those "after" photos. I can sense the decluttering from here!

Fiona@Staring at the Sea said...

What a fresh looking space to work in. I love the use of the old irons.

MonicaB said...

Great job reorganizing. I really need to do that in my room too. It's hard to get started. ;) Thanks for the inspiration.

Missus Wookie said...

Oh what a lovely space to work in now. My office needs a similar attempt - always feels better once it is done. The personal touches are such a neat way to ensure your personality shines through.

alexa said...

I am most impressed - this really looks so much more streamlined and airy. I bet it is nicer to work in too?

Carola Bartz said...

You did such a great job in de-cluttering your work space and re-designing it. I like it a lot! What do you think how long will it stays like this? I am always thrilled when I clean up my studio and it looks super. I always swear that I want to keep it like that; however, a week later it already looks very messy again...

ForgedinPaper said...

What a lovely space it's a great transformation. I love your irons as bookends.

Miriam said...

Your space looks lovely, bright and airy. Worth all that de-cluttering.