Friday, April 29, 2011

The Color of Cancer

Today's post is in honor of Marti who is battling cancer while celebrating her 69th birthday.  Happy Birthday Marti!

I looked up the colors assigned to various cancers on the internet. I was somewhat dismayed to see how many colors have already touched my life in some way.
Journaling reads:

Cancers are represented by all of the colors of the rainbow.
Lavender is the color of general cancer awareness.

Pink is breast cancer. My good friend Rachel was diagnosed with breast cancer just after her 40th birthday. In her honor, my sister Deanna and I raised funds and walked in the Breast Cancer 3 Day in October 2008.

Orange is kidney cancer. My Mom, Susanne, died of renal cell carcinoma on February 28, 1998. Orange is also the color for leukemia. My sister Wendy died of childhood leukemia around 1965.

Purple is pancreatic cancer. Rachel’s father died of pancreatic cancer shortly after my Mom. My grief was still so raw that I cried through his entire funeral, even though I barely knew him.

Teal is ovarian and pelvic cancers. A blog friend’s mother {Marti} is currently battling this type of cancer.

Black is melanoma. Several years ago Jay had a melanoma removed from his right arm. His diagnosis means our children are at increased risk of skin cancer.

Cancer doesn’t deserve a rainbow. Cancer is an insidious soul-sucking black, ripping apart families and stealing the lives of our loved ones long before their time.

And so, we send love and healing thoughts to those who are fighting. We wear ribbons and wrist bands. We walk, we run, we raise funds and awareness. All in the hope that we might someday know a world where cancer no longer exists.

22 comments:

Sian said...

My dad died from pancreatic cancer on my 12th birthday. Funny how I can write it in a comment, but didn't want to write it in my post, isn't it?

A good post.

scrappyjacky said...

A very moving post,Cheri....it's so sad how many of our lives are touched by cancer.

Amy said...

I don't think any of us are untouched.
A beautiful post today Cheri :-)

Jo.C said...

You have taught me so much in this post. We often wear lilac/purple ribbon in memory of one of the students who died about 10 years ago but this makes it more significant. It was her favourite colour. My Dad died of Bowel cancer in 1991. I'll link the two now.
Your layout is beautiful and a real tribute x

Lizzie said...

Many of us have lost relatives and friends to cancer. My mum lost her father to lung cancer, when she was 16. My other grandad had bowel cancer. We recently lost my dear auntie to leukemia. A lovely friend died a few years back, from throat cancer. I could go on...
It's a shadow that blights many lives and I share your wish and prayers that one day soon, there will be no more need to fear this terrible disease.
This is a lovely post.

Deb @ PaperTurtle said...

Cheri ~ Thank you so much for this beautiful post and for honoring my mom this way. I love that you included a list of loved ones you've lost to cancer, and that you created a beautiful layout to commemorate that. Your photo is lovely and telling in itself with your arm sporting the teal band placing the teal box on your page. I love it. Thank you, Cheri, so very much! xo

Becky said...

My Dad is battling prostate cancer - like Sian I couldn't put it in my blog post, but your post has made such an impact on me. Hugs to you and of course to Marti xx

janae @ jelly roll said...

Such a special post! Visiting from Team Teal.

Denise said...

A very moving post Cheri.I share your wish that soon we will not fear this terrible thing that is cancer x

debs14 said...

What an emotional post Cheri, so sad that it has touched so many people you know. Let's hope that Deb's mum is one of those who survives this awful illness.

Maria Ontiveros said...

Thank you for your post Cheri - it is so heartfelt and contains so much. My mom was a breast cancer survivor (we lost her to heart disease), but my dad died from prostate cancer and one of my favorite cousins from prostate cancer. It is good to pause and remember them.
So, thank you.
Rinda

JO SOWERBY said...

what a lovely post. so many colours for so many cancers it's scarey. my dad has had small bowel cancer for a number of years now but is ok. thanx for ur kind comments on my post by the way,
Jo xxx

quiltingfool said...

A beautiful tribute to all those who have touched you, as well as all those others whose lives have been touched by cancer. Your maternal grandfather also died of leukemia at the age of 52, so add one more. All of us have been touched by cancer in one way or another, and like you, I hope my children and grandchildren live to see a world where cancer doesn't exist.

furrypig said...

such a touching post, my wonderful bro in law died of a brain tumour in his early 40's and it broke all our hearts, leaving his 4 wonderful children without their gorgeous dad. Thank you for sharing Cheri xxx

Clair said...

You're right, cancer does not deserve to be a rainbow, but maybe with the strength, love and spirit that it represents there will, eventually, be an end to this disease that affects so many x

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful post Cheri and I love your page.

Jo said...

A very moving layout and post, it is something that touches so many. My great nan had breast cancer and they gave her three months to live, they asked her to be a guinea pig for a new drug, she accepted the offer and died of breast cancer over 30 years later aged 90.....there is always hope.

Alison said...

A really heartfelt post Cheri- you are so right..I'm sure there is not one of us whose life hasn't been touched by this awful disease -great LO too and thanks for stopping by my blog
Alison xx

Anonymous said...

A very touching post Cheri. I started thinking of all my family members and friends who've passed away from the insidious disease or who are fighting it and was amazed at the number but the closest one is my Mum who died of cancer of the brain and lung cancer (a non-smoker). Thanks for stopping by my blog.

martirose1 said...

Cheri, your post makes me know I am not alone. I am so sorry for all your family losses. Within the past two years, I've lost 2 sisters (one to lymphoma and one to lung cancer) and I have a brother who is currently in remission with lymphoma. And my husband's mother died this past December from liver cancer. Thank you for your birthday wishes and your support of Team Teal! xo

Unknown said...

Great post and great layout!

"Cancer doesn't deserve a rainbow." Amen. I love that line.

Cheryl said...

What a beautiful, poignant LO/post. TFS it with us.