Wednesday, December 18, 2019

Eliminated

I've been absent for three months.  A lot has happened in that time frame.  My travel schedule did threaten to ruin me and my last trip to Rockville was... well... my last trip to Rockville.  My position with my company is being eliminated.  I will officially join the ranks of the unemployed on December 27, 2019.

I've already been through the seven stages of grief.  The shock/denial phase lasted all of about five minutes.  I knew when my boss left back in March that this was a possibility and in some ways I'm surprised I lasted through the end of the year.  Anger, bargaining, depression, and testing has been somewhat circular over the last month as I worked through knowledge transition and wrapping things up with our human resources department.  Today I sent out my farewell email to my colleagues and I'm honestly glad to have that task done. 

All that remains is acceptance.  And writing a resume - something I haven't done in 17 years.  And starting a job search.

All of which will wait until the New Year.  Right now I want to slow down, enjoy the holidays, take stock, and be truly deliberate with my job search and finding the next right thing for me.

I'm reaching out just to let you all know what has happened and why I've been MIA.  I'm guessing that after the holidays I might have more time to be present here!

Happy Holidays everyone!  Catch you soon!

Cheri

8 comments:

Hazadoux said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
debs14 said...

Sorry to hear this Cheri, although you suspect something may be coming, it's still a shock when it does. You are wise to get the Christmas period out of the way before you start looking for another job, it's easy to get into panic mode and apply for things that you really know aren't right for you.
Take care and make sure you spend your extra free time doing all the important things - regular blogging ;-)
Seriously, sit back and take care of yourself x

alexa said...

That's really tough, Cheri, and I am sad to hear this. That's such a powerful word 'eliminated'. It probably doesn't feel yet that you have been 'set free to pursue something else', but hopefully a rest and an internal re-group after Christmas will give you a chance to think ... Hoping there are lots of nice things in the days ahead, and thinking of you.

Patio Postcards said...

Cheri I'm so hear about about your job loss, I know from your many posts you put a lot into your job. I too am waiting until the new year to begin my job search. I believe 2020 will be the year of perfect vision. I hope you can settle into the Christmas celebrations & be a reveler of season.

Karen said...

Oh Cheri, I'm so sorry to hear about your job! Even when you suspect it, the reality is a whole different ball game. I hope you're able to truly take time to enjoy your beautiful family and the holiday. You'll be in my thoughts now, and in the new year as you look for a new opportunity.

Susanne said...

Oh no, I am so sorry you are having to go through that. I hope that the Christmas interlude will bring you peace before you have to start on the next phase of your journey. Good luck in finding a good fit.

Carola Bartz said...

Cheri, I'm sorry that you lost your job, even though you were suspecting it - it's a completely new story when it actually happens. I wish for you that you can make your peace with it and that eventually you will find new work that you can enjoy and that fulfills you.

Barbara Eads said...

2020 is going to be a banner year for you---I just know it!