Wednesday, January 17, 2018

Hello 2018! Let's PLAY!

It has not escaped me that we are already 2 1/2 weeks into 2018.  But it has taken me a little longer to really wrap my arms about what I want and expect from this year, what my goals and dreams are and how I want to approach the year.  I'm starting to feel a little organized... not all the way yet... but getting there!

One Little Word - PLAY.  
What I know for sure is that I don't want this year to be all about work like last year was.  I'm still going to be traveling at least once a month for work, but I don't want to feel all-consumed by it. So I'm committed to MAKE time to play.  I joined Ali Edwards' One Little Word course again this year - turns out I really missed it last year although I doubt I'd have had time to keep  up anyway!
These are my initial pages for my One Little Word/ FIT album for 2018.  Not much in the way of art or decoration - I was trying to keep it simple and just get it done!
 

I also joined in Cathy Zielski's 2018 version of FIT again.  I'm carrying my theme of PLAY through the FIT exercises as well.  I want to approach fitness / wellness this year with a more lighthearted playful manner - just moving my body in ways that brings me joy and making healthy choices in what I feed my body and my soul!


I took photos and measurements but I'm keeping that private for now.  It's not about the numbers - it is all about how I FEEL this year!  Of course, I no sooner started tracking steps again and hitting my goal of 6000 steps per day than I somehow injured my foot and ended up with posterior tibial tendonitis.  But it is a temporary setback!  I'm still in a brace and probably won't get back to walking for a couple of weeks.  But I'm not letting that get me down.

In order to keep motivated to PLAY, I also joined Tamara Laporte's Life Book 2018 class.  Life Book is a year long mixed media art class that also incorporates bits of yoga, aromatherapy, mindfulness, and other wellness activities.  So far I'm thrilled with this course!  Here's a bit of what I've been making:
 This was our "warm up" exercise.  Which honestly took me an entire week because I wanted to do it justice.

This one was a week two "bonus" exercise.  Created while I was in Rockville for work.  I had only brought some neocolor II watercolor crayons and a couple of gel pens with me as supplies.  I bought the stamp and a super cheap black stamp pad at a craft store.  I used a coffee cup sleeve from my hotel room to stamp the texture.


This "compassion bear" was also a week two "bonus" exercise and created at the hotel room with very limited supplies.  I think I'd like a second go at this guy, but he'll have to do for now because I'm determined to keep up with the class!!!

What I really want to cultivate this year is a sense of lightheartedness, joy, freedom, space, and adventure.  I want to laugh more, move more, create more, and feel gratitude for all of life's little pleasures. I want to nurture my body, my soul, and my relationships.

I've chosen the hummingbird as my symbol for the year.  It is said to represent enjoyment of life and lightness of being.  That seems to sum up what I'm hoping for and working towards in 2018!

5 comments:

Karen said...

Cheri, what a wonderful post! I think you've chosen very well and done lots of thinking about how you want to spend your time. I love your mixed media pieces. I love the colors and light-heartedness of the first one with the beautiful butterflies. Your hand lettering in the second one is just wonderful, and again the colors are so beautiful. I hope 2018 is all you hope it to be and more!

Melissa said...

Such a FUN word! I’m impressed with your start to OLW & FIT etc! I need to finish setting up my OLW album & the January pages.

Of course, for PLAY & FIT .... I highly recommend regular skipping! 😁

Patio Postcards said...

Cheri what a great Word you have chosen & I wish you much success with it. I like your little bear person, she has a real sense of fun & Play about her. Cheers to a fun filled 2018.

Carola Bartz said...

Cheri, that is a wonderful word - play. It promises a very different year from last. Lightheartedness is a good thing, and I wish for you that you will have much more joy and good adventures this year.
You won the photo card set by voting for your favorite photos on my blog. Congratulations! I thought I had your address, but I can't find it anymore. Could you please send it to me again?

alexa said...

Lovely to see you posting and with such sparkle in your artwork! Lightheartedness is such an optimistic word, and I am hopping there will be plenty of it for you all this year.