Saturday, November 7, 2015

THRIVE - September/October

I'm trying to stay accountable to myself for the things I have set out to do. THRIVE is a big word. This is what thriving looked like in September and October...


1. Read A Book:  In September I read The Infinite Sea, the second in the 5th Wave series by Rick Yancey.  I'm really looking forward to the third book!  I started Rising Strong by Brene Brown in October, but haven't yet finished it.

2.  Try A New Recipe:   In September I tried Chicken Marsala, and in October I did  Cinnamon Apple Porkchops.  Both very tasty!

3.  Declutter:  I've continued working on decluttering my digital scrapbooking supplies  At the end of August, I had 105 GB, 63,966 files in 3367 folders in that section of my external hard drive.  As of today,  I am at 98.3 GB, 59,364 files in 2919 folders.  I'm not done yet, but I consider this substantial progress! Another 3700 files gone even while I'm purchasing and downloading new stuff!

I also finally mailed a couple of packages to friends of things I had been meaning to mail out for months.

4.  Complete An Unfinished Project:  In September we finally opened our shop at Black Rose - that was a huge accomplishment.  No big UFO for October.

5. Improve Flexibility - I haven't even had the heart to do measurements in the past two months. I'll start working on this again soon.  

6. Scrapbooking - My Favorite Five - hasn't happened.

7.  Photography - other than a handful of photos taken on various trips, not much progress in September and October. BUT I'm trying to change that in November, so maybe I'll have better news to report by year end!

8.  Art Journaling - hasn't happened.

9.  On the Wellness front - Along with the diagnosis of cervical spondylosis (osteoarthritis - degenerative changes in the cervical spine) came physical therapy.  I'm working on improving the range of motion in my neck and loosening up the ridiculously tight musculature.  The good news is that the radiating symptoms down my left arm have virtually disappeared after causing me trouble for four solid months.  Four hours driving my offspring to college call still trigger it, but otherwise it seems to be okay.

I started back with an Intro to Fitness class.  The instructor is a complete sadist and the class is being taught well above my current fitness level.  I'm going to keep going (and modifying everything) until I've used up my pre-paid card class and then I'll be looking for something more in line with my current capabilities.  In the meantime, at least I'm moving!

I'm also thrilled that Cathy Zielski plans to teach another year long version of Move More Eat Well for 2016.  I need the accountability!


 September's One Little Word assignment was to write a letter to ourselves about our interaction with our word.  I made a pocket to slip mine into!

 Visit with Sarah to the Maryland Renaissance Faire


 My September Gratitude page

 October - LOTS of travel!  And something very daring - I took myself out to see the musical Wicked while I was in Kansas City.  All by myself! I had never seen it and I truly loved it.



My October Gratitude page.  We skipped out on Halloween this year and went to dinner and a movie just to avoid having to pass out candy. I'm such a scrooge! But honestly it was wonderful and there were a lot of other older couples doing the same thing - the theater was packed!

9 comments:

Karen said...

I think you've accomplished a lot! I love your gratitude pages; I'm sure I've seen them before, but this time they really spoke to me. What a great way to do daily gratitude! I'm going to think up something similar for next year. Glad you saw Wicked; it was one of my favorite musicals. We saw Nora Jones in concert last night; she was fabulous!

MonicaB said...

You did so much. I love how you document everything so you know where you started and how much you achieved. I really like your gratitude page, I've been working on acknowledging the things that I am grateful for and tis is such a great way to track them.

debs14 said...

What a great way of noting things down on a day to day basis. Such a good idea, as it's so easy to forget the smaller, good things that happen.
Sorry to hear about your aches and pains - oh the joy of getting older eh?! Not sure I like the sound of that fitness class, I bet you can't wait until you can move onto something more suitable!

Melissa said...

A great catch up with your word today! I'm so glad to hear the pain in your arm has eased up - I know that was tough dealing with it every day!

And how FUN to see our photo & the note about our meet-up on your gratitude page, along with The Martian ticket stub mingled with your other memorabilia!! :)

Sian said...

There's a lot of good, thrivin' stuff in there. You are making good choices and it's a pleasure to read your catch up today. keep it going..

scrappyjacky said...

You've achieved so much this year...so not everything is going to happen every month.
What is it with fitness instructors and sadism!!!!

Fiona@Staring at the Sea said...

Seems like you've accomplished a fair bit to me. You're covering a whole lot of bases here. I'd love to see Wicked. Hoping that things are picking up with your new venture as we approach the festive season. Have a great week, Cheri.

alexa said...

I am always touched and inspired by your stickability (going to an exercise class that's hard work) and your honesty (your 'hasn't happened'). I am cheering you on!

Missus Wookie said...

Well done on sticking to your goals and projects - so glad to hear that your pain is less. Pain is so tiring :( Hope you can find a new class that fits your requirements better and that things continue to improve on the health front.