Monday, July 28, 2014

A Year of Kindness - Challenge Week 30

Last week's challenge was to Practice Compassion. In my blog post, I focused on the concept of compassion for others. On the concept of not judging in situations and circumstances where you may not have all the facts or know the entire story. Read here for a great article on how compassion is the secret to happiness and good health.

This week I want to turn that concept inward. This week's challenge is to Be Compassionate With Yourself.  Because honestly, care and love toward other human beings starts with care and love toward yourself.

Being compassionate with yourself means not judging yourself any more than you would judge another.

Being compassionate with yourself means cutting yourself some slack when life gets overwhelming.

Being compassionate with yourself means doing something that you know makes you happy when you are feeling blue.

And sometimes being compassionate with yourself means acknowledging that you are ENOUGH.

So the next time that mean girl voice is whispering in your ear that you are not good enough, not pretty enough, not thin enough, not smart enough, not creative enough, or not fill-in-the-blank enough, march yourself to a mirror, look yourself right in the eye and say "I am uniquely AWESOME." Because you are!

I saw the words "Uniquely Awesome" painted on a mirror in a shop in Ocean City two weekends ago and thought that was such a wonderful idea. I looked at myself in that mirror and said to myself "Why Yes, I am. Thank you very much."  I know it sounds silly, but when you hear that voice, and I know that YOU know the one I mean... JUST DO IT! Just march to the nearest mirror and say "I am uniquely AWESOME."  Then give yourself a big smile. You deserve it.

If you want others to be happy
Image Source.   That Dalia Lama sure was a smart dude, eh?

Make sure to leave me a comment telling me that you did it! No, not that it... The look-in-the-mirror-and- say-I-am-uniquely-awesome it!

2 comments:

Missus Wookie said...

I love this post. Reminding myself that I am enough and am indeed awesome is something I've been doing for a few years and has indeed made the most difference.

Melissa said...

LOL - of course I'm awesome! I've been pretty compassionate with myself as I re-start my exercise & healthy eating this week after being on the road for half of last month!

I thought about your Kindness Challenges when we were in Edmonton & I turned in two comment slips to compliment individuals who really went out of their way to make our stay at the hotel pleasant! :>)