Friday, February 28, 2014

Frugal Still Life - Week Seven

The week seven assignment was to photograph jewelry. I used this as an opportunity to photograph the beautiful (ridiculously expensive) 14k gold earrings Jay bought me for Christmas.

 I started off with the tried and true white foam core board, but I wasn't satisfied at all...

 So I once again gave the window curtain a go...

 Then I dug through my stash of crazy quilting fabrics and came up with this turquoise brocade...

and this black floral...

I have a definite favorite in this bunch. One that I think best shows off all the detail of the earrings without the background competing.  Which one do you think is best? And aren't these earrings gorgeous?! (Actual size from the top of the teardrop to the bottom of the "fringe" is 1.5")

11 comments:

Melissa said...

The turquoise background is definitely my favorites, and YES those are gorgeous earrings!

Karen said...

What stunning earrings! And like Melissa, I like the turquoise background the best. I still have the last two lessons to do.

debs14 said...

The turquoise is my favourite, it compliments the gold beautifully. They are really unusual, you lucky girl!

scrappyjacky said...

I love the turquoise and the black...I think the black probably shows the details best.

Barbara Eads said...

If you are looking for a permanent display to photograph with, I'd go with the black.

quiltingfool said...

I like the turquoise background best.

Unknown said...

I vote for turquoise! Beautiful!

Cheryl McCain said...

I like the turquoise and the black but the turquoise seems to illuminate the shiny gold so well! Bravo! Well done!
visiting from Frugal Still Life Photography - http://cherylmccainphotography.com

Missus Wookie said...

I like the turquoise background and yes those are stunning earrings. Well chosen Jay!

Miriam said...

Hi Cheri. Catching up with you this afternoon. First of all I love the earrings and on the turquoise cloth. Can I see your reflection in them?
I have been trying to get into the FSL site all morning without success! I thought you might have the prompts so thank you.

Maria Ontiveros said...

I love the turquoise backdrop. It really makes the earrings pop!
Rinda