Monday, April 20, 2020

Monday Musings

On Cricut Maker - I finally got started with my Cricut Maker yesterday.  My first attempt was an epic fail:
I decided this font was maybe just too thin to work...

I tried again with a different font that didn't have pencil thin lines.  I got an image I could actually transfer...  But I still didn't like the results.  The Cricut cut each individual letter fully, so where they overlapped, bits would end up missing.  Also, I thought the size was just a little too big!
Finally got to the point of understanding the difference between "group" and "weld".  Very happy with the final result.  More importantly, the bride-to-be was happy!  So, my first project - set of six bridesmaids wine tumblers - DONE!  And weeding vinyl?  Not my idea of a good time!

On Face Masks - I'm still busy sewing. Finished another 10 on Saturday.  So here's the group currently ready to hit the mail
I continue to receive requests for these, so I'm still sewing like crazy.  And now that it is becoming clear that our stay-at-home orders aren't being rescinded anytime soon, and we are being required to wear face masks to get into the grocery store, I'm guessing there will be a continued need.  I'm about to run out of elastic again. Sigh.

On the "New Normal" - or rather complete lack thereof. I thought we had this COVID thing kind of figured out. I'm unemployed, but that happened pre-COVID and we were doing okay. We had settled into a schedule and a life at home...  and with a single phone call, that has all been turned on its head.  

Jay just learned that he's been "furloughed".  I've put that term in quotes because we both agree it is his company's chicken-shit way of jettisoning employees without coming right out and telling them.  He was told 4-8 weeks.  So why do we think "furloughed" actually equals "let go"?  Because they want him to mail his laptop back to Corporate HQ.  If they were planning to bring him back in a month, why would they bother?  So we are now two unemployed older Americans.  Jay is devastated. I don't even know how to react. It sucks in ways I can't even describe.  I know that our situation isn't unique and that we will muddle through it somehow.  But O.M.G. - 2020 SUCKS!!!!


7 comments:

Karen said...

I am SO SORRY to hear about Jay's job!!! This pandemic is just horrific in so many ways. Sarah has a Cricut Maker and does absolutely amazing things with it! I'm still figuring out my Cameo which is at least two years old. Stay safe!

Melissa said...

When I saw your first note about Cricut, I had to laugh because I am currently in the chat queue with Cricut (because they are not offering email support at this time!*&%!!).I was #87 when it started - down to #3 now. Just trying to get my account sign in fixed .. but it's causing me to wonder if I really want to upgrade my Cricut or not. (I still just have the original 6" cutter.)

I'm terribly sorry to read about Jay's furlough, although I'd like to think there's still a chance they will bring him back. I think lots of companies have no idea what will happen as things continue to move forward. It is such a bummer for y'all - this has definitely not been a great year!

Patio Postcards said...

WOW Cheri that was devastating news for Jay & you. I agree that 2020 is turning out to be a year of harshness in oh so many ways. Your face masks are beautiful & how kind you are making. I think the wearing of face masks will not only be the norm but made mandatory in public. In Canada it was recently mandated that all passengers on planes have to wear & that's flights inter provincially too, not just international.

Carola Bartz said...

Oh Cheri, I'm so sorry to learn about Jay's job. Yes, it truly sucks. I don't really know what to say, this is so awful. It's difficult to stay positive.

alexa said...

I am so sad, Cheri, to hear what has happened with Jay's work - that's really scary at a time when everything feels already so fragile. I'm hoping your suspicions are wrong ... Thinking of you both. Hoping there will be some rays of light that show a way forward.

Barbara Eads said...

I agree with you that Jay's company took the chicken way out. I suspect that companies all across the US are dong the same thing--using Covid as a good excuse to let people go. Maybe when we're on the other side of this, he will find something more fulfilling. Scary times for sure!

debs14 said...

You have been very busy making all those face masks - those of us with crafty hobbies are certainly well prepared to spend our time in lockdown constructively. The wine tumblers look lovely, I really like the colour of them too.
So sorry to read about Jay's job, it's hard to comprehend how so much can change almost overnight and I think companies are going to take a long time to bounce back from this. Over here, if you are furloughed, the government ensures you are paid 80% of your salary up to a certain level, is that the same there? It does seem a little suspicious that they want the laptop back, I think that I too would be pessimistic about this only being short term.
Take care and keep safe x