Saturday, March 9, 2019

Twenty Days Later

It was twenty days ago that I posted "Sometimes Life is Just... Hard."  It hasn't really stopped being hard, but there have been a few bright spots here and there.

My daughters and I went to Frisco, TX  on February 22nd to spend a little time with my mother. For Rachel and Becca it was a short visit - we all arrived on Friday night, they left on Sunday.  Sarah and I stayed until Wednesday. At this point my mother is pretty much house-bound, spending her life in jammies for comfort. Her tumor is mid-abdomen and sort of makes her look pregnant, so she's wearing clothing two sizes too big in order to fit around her middle. The tumor is pressing on her stomach and digestive system, making it very difficult for her to eat. She was in good spirits while we were there, but I don't think it lasted much beyond our visit. I did what I could for her, which wasn't much, but such as it was, I felt good about it.

We were at the airport on Wednesday, waiting to get on our flight home, when Sarah got a text from her friend Brianna who has been battling colon cancer for the past two years. Doctors said she might only have a few days left and Brianna wanted to know if Sarah could get to D.C.  So we got home (my house), I did all Sarah's laundry, and she left Thursday morning to drive to D.C.  She had to drive there and back same day because she had an intensive two day class to attend on Friday/Saturday and couldn't get out of it without losing the tuition money and taking a failing grade. It was a rough few days for Sarah.

Sunday (March 3) was a good day.  I met my new grandpuppy Millie.  Rachel brought her home from the SPCA on Saturday.  She's a retriever/shepherd mix and has the sweetest disposition.

We made it home from our visit to Manyunk just as the snow began to fall.


And woke up Monday morning (March 4) to this:



8" of heavy wet snow.  So glad I didn't have to shovel!

This past week life felt like it was starting to settle back into routine, except that I wasn't able to concentrate on anything and got a fat nothing done for work.

Thursday (March 7) was Rachel's surgery. I'm happy to say that went extremely well. The surgeon got clear margins on the first cut and was actually able to close Rachel's shin without doing a skin graft - so no donor site stitches and scarring! Rachel came out of anesthesia much better this time and was quickly in good spirits. The "closure" is a mixture of stitches, glue, and tape and if it holds, it looks like the scar will be 3-4" long but very thin. Fingers crossed!  It is hard to be 25 years old and find yourself getting covered in surgical scars.

Brianna passed away on Friday afternoon. She was only 31 years old and, according to Sarah, one of the best people she's ever known. My heart is breaking for Sarah, for Brianna's family and friends, and for everyone who has had their life changed by cancer in one way or another.

"AS TRANSIENT AS DREAMS AND SHADOWS, AS ERRATIC AS DEW AND LIGHTNING, SUCH IS LIFE."  unknown


9 comments:

debs14 said...

What a real mix of emotions these last few weeks have had for you. I'm so sorry to hear about Sarah's friend. Far too young to be taken from her family and friends.
It sounds like it will be a very positive outcome for Rachel, fingers crossed it heals quickly and the scar fades fast.

Karen said...

It always amazes me how frequently people are hit with one hard thing after another. You and Sarah (as well as the rest of your family) have been through so much already this year! Here's hoping spring comes soon and brings some brighter spots into your lives. (The snowfall is a pain, but it is so beautiful!)

Carola Bartz said...

It always makes me sad when I hear about young people passing away so early in life. It is incredibly sad. I feel for your daughter as well because it is so hard to lose a good friend. It's rough. I'm glad though that Rachel's surgery went much better than expected and hope that the scar indeed will be very thin.
The snow is certainly a pain (I wouldn't like that very much), but it sure looks beautiful.

Susanne said...

Oh my, your family has had so much to deal with lately. I went back to read your last post. I cannot imagine how overwhelming it must feel. I am glad there was some good news more recently, and certainly hope and pray that it marks a trend to more positive things. Consider yourself hugged!

Patio Postcards said...

Cheri I'm sorry for all that you & your family & friends are going through. Very positive news for Rachel. Your new Grand-fur-baby is adorable & she will bring you all so much love & comfort at this time.

A beautiful quote.

Melissa said...

Oh Cheri, so much difficult news here, along with the bright spots. So glad Rachel's surgery was better than expected!

I'm terrible sorry to hear about Sarah's friend! I'm keeping y'all and your mother in my prayers. I'm so glad y'all were able to make the trip to visit her.

Barbara Eads said...

So sorry about all the sadness in your life. That can certainly get you down. But at least you've been able to spend time with family and more time with your girls. I hope the coming weeks are better.

Missus Wookie said...

So many cancer patients and other issues. Sorry that your family is dealing with this - but glad for the bright spots too. Thankful that Rachel's surgery went well and that's a cute puppy!

alexa said...

Just catching up now, and so sad to read of such difficult events for you all, and for those you love ... Remembering you with affection, and hoping for a swift recovery for Rachel.