Tuesday, April 17, 2018

PLAY - Life Book 2018

I am truly enjoying this course!  Trying to keep up with the lessons is keeping me engaged in art so much more often than I might be on my own.  And let me tell you... art with no purpose other than the sheer enjoyment of the process... it's like soft serve ice cream on a hot summer day ... cool and sweet and oh so enjoyable!


 This is my garden fairy (actually our Lesson from the first week of class!)

She's still a work in progress - I still need to do another layer on the background and meaningful symbols on the shirt and a bit more work on the face.  She's not meant to be realistic in the sense of human proportions.


But she's come a long way from this:

And I've really been taking my time on this one because, somehow, she just seems too important to rush.  After all, she's supposed to be tending my dreams...
And here's my finished project from Week 12.  The lesson, called "Beauty in the Chaos" had us make a color-filled totally abstract background and then "find" the images hidden in what we had created.  I saw the girl planting flowers right away.  It took me days of staring at the painting to "see" the heart, the robin, and the path leading to the tent? (some kind of dwelling - I wasn't clear what).  In finishing the painting, I purposefully left the grass and sky very transparent so you can still see a lot of the "chaos" underneath.  I thought I had snapped a picture when it was just background, but apparently that was one of those things I did in my head and not in reality. 😕





The recent work on these two projects was accomplished during a two day retreat at the Jersey Shore.  I need more play dates like that!

3 comments:

Karen said...

Your art work is so wonderful! My sketching is so off and on, but I've never managed to get a person drawn that I'd be willing to share. I just love your top painting. You should frame that one!

Patio Postcards said...

I think your garden fairy is perfect. Your Beauty in Chaos had me thinking immediately of the Easter story.

Carola Bartz said...

Cheri, I love seeing your paintings. The hummingbird in the fairy painting caught my eye. I also love the idea of painting an abstract and then "finding" the pictures in it.