Monday, May 8, 2017

Memos, Mail & Me: On The Road Again

Linking up with Sian and all the Mondayers...

I went to Belize with my sister Deanna


- we both were desperately in need of...

... some away time


... some down time

... some disconnected time

and Belize was just what the doctor ordered!
Visiting the Mayan Ruins at Xunatunich



It was fantastic! We spent most of the time just chilling and getting to know the staff at the resort. Except for the one day that we did a day tour to the mainland - hiked the mayan ruins at Xunatunich, zip-lined through the rain forest, and went water tubing through a cave, and came home physically exhausted but emotionally exhilirated.


And could barely walk for the next two days! We exercised muscles that have likely gone long unused. But it was what my spirit needed to refresh. Just what the doctor ordered.

But the doctor would have advised against this....

Got this my last day at the resort while sitting in the shade, under an umbrella... not just a sunburn, but some kind of rash on my legs and tops of my feet... possibly an allergic reaction to the kelp we waded through for all of about 30 seconds... itched, burned, stung for days.  I came home May 1st and the rash is finally gone, just sunburn remains, waiting to peel...

And now it's May 8th and I'm on the road again - back to Rockville and Baltimore for work.  And suddenly I'm not dreaming of away time... can you believe I'm dreaming of just staying home for a bit?

Mail?  Just bills and sales flyers. 😒

7 comments:

Carola Bartz said...

That rash looks painful, good that it is gone by now. I'm so glad that you had such a good time with your sister. Sometimes we just need to get away and have some down time. I bet the mayan ruins were very interesting. The fist picture of you and your sister is so cute.

Sian said...

It sounds absolutely wonderful! Apart from that rash, of course. Round here when the sun shines very many of us start looking red after a day (yes, Sian, that would be you) because we are all pale skinned and we all sit out for too long in case the sun doesn't come back all summer!

Wishing you safe travels and a happy homeward bound trip at the end.

Patio Postcards said...

I like a doctor that knows what to order for his patients. Your photos show what a cure that trip was. Oh that rash does look sore, glad it's healed. I like to stay home, but too much is what the doctor would call reclusive ... Happy week ahead.

Karen said...

What fun that trip looks like! You and your sister are much more adventurous than I am---zip lining would put me over the edge. So sorry about the rash, but glad it's finally gone away.

Alison said...

Sounds s though it was just what you neede...apart from the rash of course...you have my sympathies there..my skin breaks out at the least little thing!!xx

Melissa said...

It looks like a lovely time (except for that rash!!!). I'm so glad y'all got away together!

Barbara Eads said...

I know what you mean about wanting some time at home. We've been traveling quite a bit lately. Seems that May, September and October are the busiest for travel. I think I would like a week at home when everyone else thought I was somewhere else. Maybe that would be too quiet, but I'd sure like to give it a try! Also, I could feel your rash from here!! Ugh!