In keeping with our theme of being Kind to Mother Earth, this week's challenge is to CONSERVE. Conserve Energy. Conserve Water. Conserve Natural Resources. And yes, I know I'm preaching to the choir, but here are ten easy ways to CONSERVE:
- Run your ceiling fan counter-clockwise in the Summer; clockwise in the Winter.
- Use shades, blinds, or drapes to block the heat of Summer sun, but open those shades and blinds in the Winter!
- Keep your freezer full - it uses less energy than an empty one.
- Unplug EVERYTHING that you aren't using - battery chargers, toasters, hair dryers, etc. If plugged in, they are still drawing energy.
- Plug electronics into a power strip and turn off the power strip when the electronics are not in use.
- Exchange incandescent bulbs for CFL
- Take shorter showers (saves on water and heating)
- Turn off water while brushing teeth
- Only run the clothes washer or dishwasher with a full load
- Walk, bike, or use mass transit
What are some of your favorite conservation techniques? What have I missed?
Sunrise in Key West. The area that needs to be cleaned up is the walkway to the left of the photo - but no place to put the trash. Maybe if the construction folks put out a few trash cans, folks wouldn't leave so much garbage on the sidewalk!