Thursday, May 26, 2011

Meet My Best Girls - Chapter One

So how do I begin to encapsulate and share my girls' weekend away?  I'm thinking first off, you need to meet my girls!  So for the next three days, I'll introduce them one by one.  But don't run away too quickly... there is She Art involved!

First Up, meet Krystal:

I met Krystal in 2001. She is the youngest of the group, having not yet crossed over the "40" mark.

Krystal is a portrait photographer, but when I first met her, she was a rep for an upstart direct sales scrapbooking company, and my upline. I was immediately drawn to her personality, her cute southern charm, her feisty spirit, and the way she was able to analyze and maximize profit from any downline structure.  She definitely had a way with that puzzle! And a knack for getting people to do whatever she wanted.

We joined the "scrapbook biz" together and stuck it out for eight years, through two different companies. Along the way, we got to enjoy numerous retreats, conventions, shows... all "girl trips" even though work was involved.

We share the role of eldest child, a strong education, and a love of the written word. Oh, and scrapbooking!

After the second company went belly up, I gave up the biz and settled into scrapbooking as just a hobby (and learned my way around Photoshop!).

Krystal became a portrait photographer.  Alas, I have yet to get her to shoot my family.  I have the airlines to thank this time - her flight was delayed so many times that instead of getting here at 3:30 (with plenty of time to do a sunset shoot), we finally got her back to my house at nearly 9 p.m. - and couldn't even do an indoor shoot because the girls had already showered and changed into pjs!

Knowing my best girls were all coming to celebrate my big 5-0, I used the She Art Class as an opportunity for gift-giving.  This is the canvas I made for Krystal:



13 comments:

Melissa said...

What a nice Art Canvas gift!

Deb @ PaperTurtle said...

A lovely tribute to your friend, Krystal, and an ADORABLE She Art piece, Cheri! Wow - I love it!

I had so much fun putting my first canvas together. I need to sit down this weekend and watch more videos as I have only made it through week 1's segments. Well done! I am inspired... :o)

scrappyjacky said...

Love what you've done here,Cheri...such a great outdoors feel to it....and what a wonderful gift to get.

quiltingfool said...

I have heard so much about Krystal, I'm so glad to finally "meet" her. The other two in your group I already know, but will be glad to see photos and updates on them. Can't wait to hear stories of your girl adventures. It's important to have girlfriends, I found this out late in life, but made up for lost time. Three of my Diva's (Red Hat group) are coming to my house today for lunch and a card making session. Cheri, your card will be late because I want to send you what I make. Have a fabulous birthday!

Anonymous said...

Oh My Word - that canvas is awesomely good. I absolutely love it, a fantastic example of she art. What a fantastic gift.

Jo.C said...

This is a great post and a real tribute - the she art is fantastic - you are very talented :0)

Jan C. said...

That canvas is amazingly good, Cheri! I can't believe you learned to make one of those from an online course. Your friend is going to be beside herself with joy when she opens it. Brava!

furrypig said...

a great introduction to your girlie group and wow your canvas is stunning!

Anonymous said...

What a lovely, lovely gift for a dear friend! Her energy and yours just sparkle through it. :)

Anonymous said...

What a fun post, and a fabulous canvas!

Amy said...

I love the canvas too and it is really lovely to 'meet' one of your friends! :-)

Krystal K Grant Photography, LLC said...

Ok I was not expecting to see my face when I pulled up your blog this morning! I already told you that I absolutely LOVE LOVE LOVE the she art piece you created, it will be beautiful in my scraproom! And now I am chomping at the bit to take a similar course to learn to do that! Love you girlie!!! xoxoxox

Unknown said...

I am absolutely fascinated and in awe of all of the She Art pieces I have been seeing on various blogs and Facebook... this is absolutely gorgeous Cheri. Beautiful. I am in awe of you... what a beautiful gift. TFS here!