Monday, April 20, 2009

I AM ENOUGH

If you have been following my blog, then you know I'm taking an online course called "A Life Well Crafted." As part of this course we get a new journaling prompt each Monday. The last two weeks have been very interesting. Last week (4/13) I missed the prompt getting ready for my trip to Portland. When I got home and looked it up, here is the question:


What is the simplest yet most important thing you know? My answer: I am enough.


Intellectually I know this to be true. Sometimes though - emotionally, physically, spiritually - I have difficulty believing it and loving myself as I am, faults and all. I am human. I make mistakes. (a lot). I don't always manage to control my temper and I am not always the nicest person to be around. I have issues. I'm not always the most consistent parent. Sometimes I don't enforce the rules enough, other times maybe I am too strict and keeping my girls on too short a leash. But I always mean well and always want the best for my children. Making mistakes in parenting does not mean I love them any less. What I know most of all, deep down in my heart, is that at any given time I am doing the best I can with what I have and what I know. I hope that is what they grow up understanding. Not that I was perfect, but that I did the best I knew how.


Which brings me to today's question. What do you like to read?


I just finished the Twilight series - devoured most of the last book on my flight to Portland and finished it while I was there. The Twilight series is a young adult fictional romance with vampires. It was a good read, mostly just entertaining.
But I liked Stephenie Meyers (the author) enough that I picked up her next book "The Host" to read on the trip home from Portland. If you like fiction that has a broader message and leaves you thinking, I highly recommend this book. It gets you pondering the question of exactly what it means to be human. And thinking about all the different emotions that go along with being human. Could we appreciate great joy and love, if there were not sorrow and hate to compare it to? to balance it out? I'm not going to give away any of the plot, but consider it for your book list.
I also enjoy reading self-help type books if they are ones that speak to me. My all time favorite remains "Excuse Me, Your Life is Waiting" by Lynn Grabhorn. Right now I'm reading "I Thought It Was Just Me" and following the read-along on the author's blog. But I'm almost ready for some new material. So what do you like to read? Any recommendations?

1 comment:

Angie Lucas said...

"I am enough"...that is a perfect sentiment. Love that! I think it's hard for anyone to believe.

I read anything and everything, but two I might recommend (if you haven't read them yet) are "The Secret Life of Bees" by Sue Monk Kidd and "Love Walked In" by Marisa de los Santos. (The latter has a bit of strong language, if I remember right, but it's wonderful.) Right now, I'm reading The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield, and I love it so far. :-)