Saturday, May 5, 2012

Art of Wild Abandonment Blog Hop


Hello! Welcome to the Art of Wild Abandonment Blog Hop!  If you are following along with the hop, you came here from Susan Thomas' blog.  After you read my post, feel free to follow the blog hop on to Jenna Alexander's blog.  Or you can link back and start at the beginning by visiting Claire Smillie's blog!

This blog hop came out of the fabulous art journaling class taught by Junelle Jacobsen (she is so amazingly talented and has such unique ideas) on Christy Tomlinson's site. The class is open for registration at any time and you have access for a year. Although not all of Junelle's projects were to my tastes, I learned so much - about sketching and about thinking outside the box in terms of what you can put on a page.  There was tons of content. I definitely enjoyed the class!

Below is my "owl" project.  I thought Junelle's owls were so stinkin' cute and I hesitated for a long time to jump into this one, knowing my talent would not even come close to hers. And yet I ended up loving my page! Created with the Caran D'Ache Neocolor II Watercolor Crayons ... which are totally worth the cost!

Below is my "sweets" project - more Neocolor Crayons - but I couldn't believe how hard it was for me to draw a simple cupcake!
See the book paper in the background?  I've repurposed a book called "Leaves of Gold" (an anthology of prayers, sermons, poetry, etc.) which is conveniently string bound so it will be easy to loosen as my book expands!

Remember the strawberry sketches that I blogged about here?  Well, this was my next attempt at sketching. I used photos on the internet as my guides for sketching pussy willow and cattails.

And just finished on Friday, my Spring leaves page!  This is a combination of watercolor, decoupage (all the leaves are bits of scrapbook paper) and texture stamping with inks and paints.

That is a lot of ground to cover and my finished projects represent less than half of the material in the class!  I'm still learning and still working on the content.

Just in case you get lost, here is the entire blog hop list:

 Tracy Cedara Dunn www.thrutheatticdoor.com
 Janice Richie www.janrichie.com

 Torri-Curtus Burtenshaw http://www.grumpydogsworld.blogspot.com/

Cheri Andrews www.cheriandrews.blogspot.com  <-----------------  YOU ARE HERE
Jenna Alexander http://www.prairiemountainlife.blogspot.ca/  <------- NEXT STOP ON THE HOP
Chrissy DiMaria Farnan www.myhootdesigns.com
Kimberly Sturrup Roberts www.bahamadawn.blogspot.com
Rebekah Farr www.bekahjan.com
Kelly N James Webb www.mypunksmom.com
Michelle Little Smith www.gingodesigns.blogspot.com
Stephanie Ward Frisby www.lilnefie.blogspot.com
Deborah Suriano Mahnken http://fishbowl.typepad.com/
Ashley Summerlin Murphy http://ashleysartcloset.blogspot.com/
Julia Monroe www.allsparkledup.com

40 comments:

Jo.C said...

They are fantastic and the owls are so cute. I keep looking at the Neocolor II Watercolor Crayons as everyone raves about them.
Now that is payback for me showing you the Dylusions :0)
Glad you got the book x

Carin said...

Wow! They are all really sweet!Your spring branches page is wonderful and I really love the pussy willow one too! Neocolor II crayons rock!

Soul House said...

Oh I love your owls. So cute.

Michelle said...

Oh my gosh....your pages are just sweet as can be! Your owls are just darling (sounds like Junelle, huh?) :) Love that you are using an old book for your journal. Seeing the words in the background just give your work even more intrigue.

Melissa said...

Fantastic pages Cheri!! I've been doodling some in a notebook but not sure that I've even created anything yet that is recognizable. LOL

clairesmillie said...

Hey Cheri! You owls look so much fun, I love them :) You're writing is absolutly darling too! Wish mine looked so nice when I journaled. I love the Spring branches page you created and how you have taken this idea but completely made it into something of your own. Thankyou so much for sharing this all with us :)

Claire Smillie

Jenna said...

Beautiful Work. Love the cupcakes.

scrappyjacky said...

I just love the owls,Cheri.

Sian said...

Cheri, your talent in this area continues to enchant and delight me. I'm still so proud of the piece you sent me and these are all equally stunning

GCgirl said...

Love the crisp bright colors in all of your projects...and your journaling is just gorgeous too! :0)

Esperanza said...

Beautiful job!

Karen said...

Oh my goodness Cheri - what absolutely beautiful pieces of art. I am in awe at the beauty of these, love the owls, the cupcakes (well I would wouldn't I) in fact each and every one of them is fabulous.

quiltingfool said...

Whew! You never cease to amaze and delight!

Nordljus said...

Your pages are wonderful! Love your owls, and your handwriting is so beautiful!

ashley:) said...

Cute stuff, thank for posting the list of hops, I got lost one time already!

Maria Ontiveros said...

Oh my! How did I not know about this? I can't wait to go 'round and see what everyone has made. I love your spring leaves.
Rinda

Torri ;o) said...

Love your drawings, they are so fun. they just make you feel happy when you look at them.

Stephanie said...

I love your art! The owls are sooo cute!

Donna said...

Loving the Bullrushes and pussywillow <3 Great work

BarbaraH said...

Love your owl family. Such a beautiful page.

Debi From the Pacific Northwest said...

I just started the course and I'm working on my owls this weekend! Love all your examples! I think your cupcakes are amazing! So much inspiration!

MonicaB said...

Cheri, Your pages a beyond beautiful!! Love your owls.

sherRae said...

I enjoyed your blog and artwork!

Vicki, the GreenEyedLady said...

Yor owls are adorable and I love your cupcakes!

Mrs.C. said...

The more creations I see with these crayons... the more I want to add them to my craft room. Love your birds. ♥

Julia said...

Love, love, love your owls! So cute. Your penmanship is lovely too. And those cupcakes are positively luscious! I'm glad I found your blog through the blog hop. :)

kelly hoernig said...

love to see that you went outside - the pussy willow and cattails are my favorite by far - thank you for thinking outside the box and for the inspiration!

humel said...

Oh, Cheri - I *adore* your owls!! They're so gorgeous :) Loving the cupcakes, too, but I keep being drawn back to the owls!

JanetB Designs said...

Love your owls, they are so cute, and the cupcakes look delicious!

Kristie said...

Cheri, I have loved your art during class! I see you are doing LOAD, too! Love those pages, too!

Ann-Margaret {Ann-Margaret's Visions} said...

Cheri, I just love your colorful family of owls!! Girlie, you did a beautiful job! And, those cupcakes...too cute ~ my favorite is the one on the left...love all the details!! What a great quote to use with your spring leaves!! :)

Deborah Mahnken said...

Great projects - I really love the pussywillows :)

Sherry C said...

Gorgeous work - love your spring branches! Also love your LOAD layouts!

Karen said...

Wow, I am so impressed! I love the spring leaves page, but it's all wonderful.

Valerie Weller said...

Such fun pages! I am partial to your spring branches~ love the quote too~

jeanied's said...

=0) so sweet...

lori said...

I really love the cattails and pussy willows! They are some of my favorite things!

Crafty Girl said...

Oh you just inspired me. I adore your owl family, and love the quote from Robin Williams.
BUT the one thing that I saw is the happy memories of pussy willows and cat tails. I have not seen them in years and so miss them. Thanks for the happy inspiration

Cheryl said...

Gorgeous, Cheri! I adore your cupcake page and that you created it on a page of words.

Ginger said...

Cheri - I remember seeing this post, but wanted to come back to comment. I cannot tell you how much I enjoyed seeing your owls! They are perfect and I think the cupcakes are stunning! So colorful and fun!